Sunday, November 9, 2008

Thoughts on Autism

We all have heard that autism is on the rise, yet there is still no theory as to the cause.

Last week on the Today Show, I heard Dr. Nancy Lieberman talk about all the parents who are angry at doctors because no research has yet to link autism and vaccinations. She stated that even with the removal of merury from the vaccines, the incidence of autism has not decreased.

However, she did mention a very interesting study that found an increase in autism in rainy climates. What does that suggest? To me it suggests that kids are spending more time indoors in rainy climates.

It also suggests to me that more time spent indoors means more time exposed to chemicals in the home. Where are these chemicals? All over the place. In carpet, furniture, cleaning products and pest control products. Think about all the chemicals in school buildings that are in the classrooms in the form of janitorial products and synthetic furnishings.

Why are kids affected by these chemicals more than adults? First, kids spend most of their time closer to the chemicals, i.e., on the floor. Second, kids have a higher metabolism than adults - therefore the chemicals enter their bloodstream quickly. Third, they have less blood volume than adults, therefore the chemicals are more concentrated in their blood.

These chemicals can harm the nervous system (that's how many pest control products work) and affect the brain. Is that what we want for our kids?

What can we do to prevent our kids from chemical exposure? One thing is to use green cleaning products that are chemical free.

Over thirty years ago, I became interested in finding chemical-free household products. Way back then, people were becoming concerned about all the pollution in the air and I was reading articles about the chemicals that we bring into the home.

Therefore, I was very interested when a friend suggested I try organic cleaning products. Rather than go into a whole long sales pitch, just click here and see for yourself what I discovered long ago - how to eliminate chemicals in cleaning products AND save money.

All the best, Faye

No comments: